Last year, Chantel and I created this tag! And, you know, since it’s halfway through the year, I’m bringing it back.
1. Where are you on your Goodreads challenge? Ahead or behind?
I’m ahead! I’ve actually bumped it up twice, so it went from 200 to 250 and now to 300. I’m having a good reading year tbh.
2. Have you really been reading your Top Ten books of the year?
I only have two books left, actually. The Hindus and the Bible. I’m going to read the former in July and I’ve been reading the latter since December.
3. Are you going to change some of your Top Tens halfway through?
Nope! Not this year. I’ve chosen pretty well this time around tbh.
4. What are your top five books so far this year?
Lemme think about it. I have to look at my Google sheet for it.
- The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson
- A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers
- The Air You Breathe by Frances de Pontes Peebles
- The Dragon Republic by R.F. Kuang
- The Wicked King by Holly Black
5. Any new releases you’re excited for?
Technically, I answered this on Tuesday! But, one not listed is The Madness Blooms by Mackenzi Lee. I have an ARC of this and I’m excited since I’ll be an ownvoices reviewer. I think she handled the backlash over the cover very well and, tbh, I wasn’t bothered by it at all in the first place. But, hey. I’m still excited and I’m very glad that I requested it!
6. Favorite character of a new (either released this year or new to you) book this year?
Hmmm. Good question. I really loved Graça from The Air You Breathe. Her character was just fantastic. Like, damn. I could really get behind her. But, I also love Cardan’s development in The Wicked King.
7. What’s a book you regret not having read so far this year?
Hm. I don’t know! I honestly can’t think of any at the moment. I feel like I’ve been doing really well at reading outside of my comfort zone and expanding my reading tastes.
8. What are your favorite TV shows/movies you’ve watched this year?
Killing Eve by far!!
If you haven’t jumped on this bandwagon, you’re so missing out. I was really worried that the second season wouldn’t live up to the amazingness that was the first season but I shouldn’t have worried. It was more insane and funnier than the first. And the characters??? Eve and Villanelle are just amazing.
Also, that finale fucked me up (and not just because I was drinking a very strong gin and tonic AND a glass of wine… then I needed another glass of wine after the ending). Chantel and I literally talked on the phone for two hours after watching that finale.
9. What do you really want to watch before the year is out?
Chantel will not shut-up about Gentleman Jack. She did a post about it, too! It’s historical fiction about real queer women in Victorian times. I mean, yo. That sounds boss.
10. What’s one song you’ve become obsessed with?
I’ve never heard of Billie Eilish before this year but I love this song. Any of her other songs? Nah. Just this one.
One, this song is honestly really good and takes me back to my childhood. Two, the music video is hilarious.
11. What are your favorite songs/albums so far?
Well, the above two songs for sure. But I also loved some other new releases from this year!
Tbh, this song made me start crying when I first heard it after my sister passed, but it’s a beautiful song. I love his voice and the lyrics.